description


21 February 2012

No Nap Experiment...Recap of Day 1

She did real well today.  Went out with Daddy to the Avenue (pictured above) to window shop for a little while.  I was at home looking after two little ones, my own and an 8 month old girl I watch a couple of times a week.  Tonight, at about 8pm, it was beyond time to brush teeth, go potty, put on PJs and read books.  The wonderful afternoon with daddy disappeared as it all came crashing down in the blink of an eye. Daddy was in charge of the going-to-bed routine, as I was returning the child to her mother downstairs. From the 2nd floor comes an "Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" It sounds like someone is dying. "Aaaaaahhhhh!" Uh oh, it's the moment of truth.  I'm thinking, Now, I know this takes time, I'm up for the battle to see if we can get this new schedule going. We'll just handle it with the expectancy that it's going to be a transition.  Daddy on the other hand? :)  Outside, the mother and I quickly exchange our good-byes and I rush up the stairs to assess the damage, expecting nothing and everything. Daddy is lying on the bed quietly. Okay. Our daughter, aka Screaming One, is behind the closed bathroom door. Bypassing Daddy, I open the door and one pouty faced three year-old runs to grab my legs for dear life. I ask her for explanations, which she attempts, but it's no use trying to retell because none of it really made sense coming through tears and wails.  Now Daddy enters the scene as meltdown #2 begins.  All I'm trying to do is set her on the potty and gently talk her through the situation, trying to move things along, at which Daddy solemnly declares, "This is the first and last day of this!" (no naps, of course)  To which I reply, "Let's give it more than just one night.  She has to get used to it!"  We exchange "we'll talk later" looks and continue with the process.  With only a few more little cries about how many books she's supposed to get (that's another story), we get her to reading with Daddy in our bed, and all ends well.  Later I get a chance to explain to Daddy that I'm the one with her all day, and I'd like to be the one to give this a chance and see if she can be ready for the transition.  In his silence he agrees to let me do this.  And so the journey has begun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment